Thursday, June 8, 2017

OSAT Blog Hop - All About Men


Happy Thursday everybody! I'm so glad you stopped by today because today is OSAT Blog Hop Day (one of the best days of the month!) Today we've got stampers from all over the world showcasing cards and projects for an "All About Men" theme. After you're done here please the next button at the bottom of my blog to continue on to the next talented stamper.

For my card today I've got something new... the Galaxy Technique!! I am so excited because I have never tried this technique before and aside from being surprisingly easy (I swear!) I cannot believe that it actually looks like a galaxy!

Let me quickly show you how I did it. First, I sponged in Daffodil Delight on a piece of shimmery white. I definitely recommend using the shimmery paper because the shimmer comes through the many layers of ink to add to the galaxy look.

Next I sponged with Berry Burst and overlapped the colors just a little.

My third color, Rich Razzleberry, is a bit darker than the previous two colors. 

Next I used Dapper Denim. I sponged the edges of the cardstock as well as sponging over the top of some of my other colors. I recommend making the edges really dark and working your way in but it's up to you as to where you lay down your color. Do make sure to leave some yellow more or less untouched because that will be the focal point of your galaxy when you are finished.

The last color you need to use is black. I used Basic Black Archival and it worked very well. Again, you will start at the edges and blend inward. Cover some of your colors up with black so that it looks like the colors are peeking through from behind. 

This is what my piece looked like when I was done sponging. You can just see some of the shimmer from the cardstock. In real life, the shimmer really comes out.

The next step is to flick some rubbing alcohol onto your background. I did it with my fingers and accidentally made some huge drops. Next time I will do it by flicking the alcohol with my aqua painter in order to get more of a spray.

Even though the drops were bigger than I had intended I still think they look so cool. They almost have a 3D effect like they are popping off of the page. My son actually tried to scratch them to see what they were because he thought they were raised (they are not at all raised).

Next you need some white splatters. I can think of quite a few ways to do this but my Chalk Marker was closest to me. I flicked the tip inside of the cap and got a nice spattering of white ink. After doing this I'm not sure I would recommend it. Even though it worked well for this technique I think it was hard on the tip of my marker.

The last step in this process is to spatter a healthy amount of Clear Wink of Stella onto your background piece. 

Here's what my final background piece looked like. This is the first time I've ever tried this technique and I'm telling ya, it will not be the last. 

Next, I made a moon for my card using the Two Inch Circle Punch, some Smoky Slate Cardstock, the Timeless Textures stamps set and both Smoky Slate and Basic Gray inks. I thought it needed a bit more depth so then I added a bit more shading with Dapper Denim ink.

I love how the moon came out and it was just the right size to fit the sentiment from Guy Greetings.

Both of my sentiments are from Guy Greetings and I was so happy with how well they worked with the theme of my card.

I added some silver metallic enamel dots to add to the galaxy look and called it good on this project.


For my project today I decided to make something for my son. He's fifteen and today is the last day of his freshman year in high school. He had finals this week and he's been just a little bit stressed out. He had a hankering for chocolate while he was studying and kept telling me that he is a chocoholic. So, as a celebratory gesture I decided to make him a box of chocolates as an "End of the School Year" gift. I'm pretty sure he's gonna love it!

I've got some products from the new catalog on this box and I think the most exciting thing might be that copper mesh... Do you know what that is? It's the copper trim! It comes shaped like a tube so I just ran my scissors down the middle of it and spread it apart to make more of a "mesh" look. I really love how versatile this stuff is!

My two smaller sentiments, "this is the day," and, "happy life" are both from the new Everyday Tabs stamp set. If you look closely at the scalloped circle of Lemon Lime twist you can see that I heat embossed the background. Those stripes are also from Everyday Tabs! At first I didn't really dig this set but it never fails-even when I "think" something isn't really my style... it is! So, thank you Stampin' Up! for gifting me this set for free at OnStage!

I filled my boy's box up with kisses and rolos and fancy chocolates galore. 

The trick now will just be making sure that he doesn't try to eat it all at once! That would be a serious belly ache! Oh! I almost forgot to mention.... Have you noticed that the "celebrate" is debossed into the paper? Yup! We have an embossing folder for that! After dry embossing the cardstock I heat embossed it with copper embossing powder. I love that bold, metallic look and it also coordinates with my copper trim... and the rolos!

If you're interested in dimensions or a tutorial for this box please let me know. It's pretty simple to make and I'm happy to share how if there is interest. If you're interested in either seeing or purchasing the products I've used today please scroll down to see the list and click on whatever you're interested in.  Have yourselves an amazing day and don't forget to click the next button to continue on to the ridiculously talented Sue Plote! You will not want to miss what she has to share today!

-Maria.




BLOG ROLL:



CARD SUPPLY LIST:



PROJECT SUPPLY LIST:






Need more stamps now? Never fear! I've got you covered!
Let me know if you have any questions!


Want a great discount on Stampin' Up! Products and to have a fun new stamping family? Join me on this fun adventure! I can't wait to be your super excited (possibly way too enthusiastic... No! That's not possible!) Stampin' Up! side kick and support lady! In case you didn't know, you can join Stampin' Up! just for the discount and never sell a single product. If you want to know the details just let me know. If you're looking for a discount on your favorite hobby (stamping and paper crafting with Stampin' Up! products) and want to earn money doing it... let me know! I'd love to talk with you whatever your interest might be! If you want to see a little more info go ahead and click the button below. Looking forward to hearing from you!


13 comments:

  1. Very cool! Thanks for sharing the technique!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your card background is amazing!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow wow wow. That card is wow. Love it and how you spelled how to do it. Would love the direction for the chocolate box. I am sure your son will love his special gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I still need to post directions for this box or one like it. I'll get on that soon!
      -Maria

      Delete
  4. You are one freaky fantastic mom. I love your son's end of school year gift. Who wouldn't? That card is really outta this world? Pun intended. I'd love a video and anything else you can tell me so I can make one of these for my husband and grandson-in-law who live with us. You are FREAKEN AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally just made my day with your comment! Thank you! Doing a video for this card technique is a great idea. I'll do one soon.
      -Maria

      Delete
  5. I love this card AND the box!! I'd love the dimensions/tutorial for the box. I had no idea about the copper mesh so that was a first for me. As for splattering with the chalk pen, I had NO idea you could do that either!! I do remember saying it was hard on the tip though. Such a cool card and cool technique!! I may have to use this at my class this week!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeannie! I'll do a post on how to make the box soon. I'll probably make a new one so it'll take me a little time.
      -Maria

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Hi Sok Sareth! Thank you for your kind words. Your post made me smile.
      -Maria

      Delete

01 09 10